I wish that they could have a switch back feature, because there was some features of V6 that I wish I could have back, like the separation of deviations in message notices, and the search bar (plus some others I'm sure I haven't stumbled upon yet. Plus, my deviations seem to be loading slower, which is making me a little upset. Anyway, my may only be worth that much, but I figure I may as well spend 'em. I'll probably get used to it all eventually.
Okay, since you asked for it, here's my list of suggested fixes and changes to V7 (copy-pasted from $spyed's journal)...
I've been keeping an eye on the beta forums and now the news articles, and I've made a list of the issues that have come up the most frequently. For what it's worth, the majority of users would probably be happier if the following issues are addressed:
1. Fix the performance issues! This is a biggie. For many people, deviations load a LOT slower than they did in V6 (or even beta V7.1), and they often don't load in all the way and get stuck on the blurry, pixelated stage. Scrolling past a deviation is painfully slow. The message center may load more slowly for many users as well. None of this was a problem in V6 or beta 7.1, it only started in beta 7.2.
2. Hidden artist's comments: hundreds of reasons have been given by many people as to why this is a bad idea. It hides potentially necessary information, forcing people to scroll or click in order to read the comments makes browsing deviations slower and more annoying, you have to click twice to use any links in the artist's comment (including the artist's name), etc. etc. etc. And for those of us who use artist's comments to make navigation between deviations that are part of a sequence (comics, for instance,) hidden artist's comments are pure hell. Some suggestions:
What would be nice: a) Give artists an option to choose whether their artist's comment should ALWAYS be shown full-view for people who use artist's comments to display legal and copyright info, usage guidelines, model and stock credits, etc. Some information should never be hidden! And people won't always scroll or click, so no, there's no guarantee they'll know that there was important info in the artist's comments.
b) Give people a browsing option to choose whether they want artist's comments to always display full-view (for those of us who like to read the comments and find it extremely annoying to have to keep clicking or scrolling in order to read them.)
SUGGESTION: If the only reason the artist's comments are hidden is to make room for the upper "add a comment" box, why can't the "add a comment" box go above the artist's comment or somewhere, leaving the artist's comment full length? And maybe make the upper "add a comment" box super-small until it's clicked, so it's not too obtrusive? Or maybe even put it above the deviation?
For a lot of us, artist's comments are way more important than having a second "add a comment" box.
3. Add a search bar to all pages! Having global search is extremely convenient for the majority of users, and inconveniences nobody.
4. WHY get rid of the option to always view deviations in full view by default? Is there a good reason for that? Getting rid of it just makes viewing deviations more of a chore, because you have to click twice on every single one to fullview it. If we could have that option back, many people would be satisfied.
5. Most people find that lumping the number of messages with the number of deviations in the menu bar is inconvenient. Having lived with the beta version for a while, I have to agree. V6 was better in that regard, at least.
6. The number of people reporting that ads are overlapping deviations and profile information suggests that some non-premium-member views of the site are badly broken, at least in certain browsers. Someone should really look into that ASAP! (This is something we couldn't test in beta, unfortunately.)
7. Bring back the "unspecified" option for gender, or allow gender to be hidden. This would be more considerate both for people who prefer to keep their gender private on the internet and for people who don't align with either male or female. (If this is a bug, better fix it soon, because it's upsetting many people.)
i mostly like it, but we need the search bar back.... and we need to get rid of the "more" feature of the artists comments. and the transparencies need to go back the way they were (so when you view a piece with a transparent background it is still transparent when you full view)
overall, though, it is just going to take some getting used to for me to like it.
there are alot of features that were there that are no longer there. such as full view.. this autosizing is something that we should have the ability to disable. there is alot of art here that can only be appreciated when viewing at the actual size, only being ablew to see a reduced size results in a lot of missed details. even on larger submissions, when clicking on them, they still don't go to the actual size,.,.
Ok, I just found something I find quite annoying, actually. In v6, I was able to find out exactly when a deviation was submitted, so like if I was reading a series of stories, I could estimate how long it would be before the next one, if there was. Now, in v7, the only publishing information is the year. No "3 days ago" or 2 months ago", just "2010" or 2005". Really, why did they get rid of this?
Ok, well that's something at least. What I was meaning was when you are viewing a deviation, not just the thumb, in v6 next to the artist comment box there used to be a little tag stating when the deviation was submitted. Now I guess it's been moved to the thumbnails only.
I don't mind it really. It personally makes the deviations easier to go through for me! I don't thinke veryone noticed but now you can use your arrow keys to flip through the deviations in your box. Something that never really had worked for me before. And there is a button on the page to delete it out of your inbox too. Yah, there are some annoying things, like they have clumped all your inbox stats together, and not having a searchbar on evrey page, and not keeping fullview on if you had been viewing hte previous picture in fullview nd all that but it's rather usefull I think.
I don't really care how it looks, because I'll get used to it. But I don't like that there's so many things missing. Search bar, auto-fullview, artist's comments in fullview, messages preview, among others. Also, deviations load extremely slowly.
I really like the new style, specially the new way to navigate between deviations, in the bottom of the deviation page. But I think it's would be more important to have improvements in the search and users search tools.
It's ok for the quick browsing for picture deviations. But it's a downfall for the Literatures, it become really suck when you have to read through the narrow spaces. Maybe they should add the zoom function to the lit so we could read them on much expanded space
I don't mind most of it, but I really hate that Journals, Polls and other "Deviantwatch" messages aren't separate from the Deviations in the header link. Since I quite often leave my deviations for a time, this makes checking if I have any new messages not as simple. I'll get used to it though.
I like most of the new v7 except for the following:
1. No more auto full view!! 1.5. Nothing to tell if you're viewing the preview or full size, misleading since some previews are now bigger. 2. s but they'll be fixed. 3. You should be able to at least add the search bar to the "stick" menu. 4. I really don't like how misleading the new message center is, even after I bring down the drop down menu it still lists journals and polls hidden within the deviations, frustrating indeed.
Everyone wants the searchbar back it seems Ive been hearing from non-subscrived users that the ads got pushed out of the super thing header and now they pop up in front of the artwork Ive also been hearing that it is extreemy not dail-up or aol friendly and I loath the way the deviantations load, all JPGed to death before you see the actuall deviantation
Erm. I wish there were a way non-subscribed people could check it before it launches or have a greater impact on feedback, as they seem to have gotten a super short end of the stick in this update
about some bad aspects I missed to mention: - where did the search bar go? - i hate the feature that you have to click on the artist's comment on a picture to enlarge it. people already barely care about your artists comments on a picture but will now even less, because they're too lazy to click and view the rest, so important information stays unrevealed. - the general deviation page layout feels like something went wrong with my resolution and turned it back from 1680x1050 to 1024x768
Overall I like it, even if not as much as I liked v6, the only thing I really dislike so far is that we can't set the automatic full view anymore. It also seems slower, and when you watch +1,600 people these two things together can be a problem.
I totally hate it. I can barely get accustomed to it. People send me a link of something and on the first view I can barely distiguish if this is now a deviation, a journal, a news article or whatever... until now the general layout of where things are located has always been pretty much the same... but now even that has been messed up. And after all I'm a bit disappointed because these changes are getting more and more numerous and we're not even asked if we want it or not. We are simply presented with a fait accompli and have to deal with it. Polls like these should be made BEFORE changing something as major as this, because otherwise... well I start to doubt the spirit of a community on here...
The only thing I will criticize is that we don't get a preview of our comments anymore when we write a comment for a deviation. I noticed it works elsewhere though, like the journals, polls and profile pages. Everything else is fine. i don't understand the big fuss about it.