I wish that they could have a switch back feature, because there was some features of V6 that I wish I could have back, like the separation of deviations in message notices, and the search bar (plus some others I'm sure I haven't stumbled upon yet. Plus, my deviations seem to be loading slower, which is making me a little upset. Anyway, my may only be worth that much, but I figure I may as well spend 'em. I'll probably get used to it all eventually.
Okay, since you asked for it, here's my list of suggested fixes and changes to V7 (copy-pasted from $spyed's journal)...
I've been keeping an eye on the beta forums and now the news articles, and I've made a list of the issues that have come up the most frequently. For what it's worth, the majority of users would probably be happier if the following issues are addressed:
1. Fix the performance issues! This is a biggie. For many people, deviations load a LOT slower than they did in V6 (or even beta V7.1), and they often don't load in all the way and get stuck on the blurry, pixelated stage. Scrolling past a deviation is painfully slow. The message center may load more slowly for many users as well. None of this was a problem in V6 or beta 7.1, it only started in beta 7.2.
2. Hidden artist's comments: hundreds of reasons have been given by many people as to why this is a bad idea. It hides potentially necessary information, forcing people to scroll or click in order to read the comments makes browsing deviations slower and more annoying, you have to click twice to use any links in the artist's comment (including the artist's name), etc. etc. etc. And for those of us who use artist's comments to make navigation between deviations that are part of a sequence (comics, for instance,) hidden artist's comments are pure hell. Some suggestions:
What would be nice: a) Give artists an option to choose whether their artist's comment should ALWAYS be shown full-view for people who use artist's comments to display legal and copyright info, usage guidelines, model and stock credits, etc. Some information should never be hidden! And people won't always scroll or click, so no, there's no guarantee they'll know that there was important info in the artist's comments.
b) Give people a browsing option to choose whether they want artist's comments to always display full-view (for those of us who like to read the comments and find it extremely annoying to have to keep clicking or scrolling in order to read them.)
SUGGESTION: If the only reason the artist's comments are hidden is to make room for the upper "add a comment" box, why can't the "add a comment" box go above the artist's comment or somewhere, leaving the artist's comment full length? And maybe make the upper "add a comment" box super-small until it's clicked, so it's not too obtrusive? Or maybe even put it above the deviation?
For a lot of us, artist's comments are way more important than having a second "add a comment" box.
3. Add a search bar to all pages! Having global search is extremely convenient for the majority of users, and inconveniences nobody.
4. WHY get rid of the option to always view deviations in full view by default? Is there a good reason for that? Getting rid of it just makes viewing deviations more of a chore, because you have to click twice on every single one to fullview it. If we could have that option back, many people would be satisfied.
5. Most people find that lumping the number of messages with the number of deviations in the menu bar is inconvenient. Having lived with the beta version for a while, I have to agree. V6 was better in that regard, at least.
6. The number of people reporting that ads are overlapping deviations and profile information suggests that some non-premium-member views of the site are badly broken, at least in certain browsers. Someone should really look into that ASAP! (This is something we couldn't test in beta, unfortunately.)
7. Bring back the "unspecified" option for gender, or allow gender to be hidden. This would be more considerate both for people who prefer to keep their gender private on the internet and for people who don't align with either male or female. (If this is a bug, better fix it soon, because it's upsetting many people.)
i mostly like it, but we need the search bar back.... and we need to get rid of the "more" feature of the artists comments. and the transparencies need to go back the way they were (so when you view a piece with a transparent background it is still transparent when you full view)
overall, though, it is just going to take some getting used to for me to like it.
there are alot of features that were there that are no longer there. such as full view.. this autosizing is something that we should have the ability to disable. there is alot of art here that can only be appreciated when viewing at the actual size, only being ablew to see a reduced size results in a lot of missed details. even on larger submissions, when clicking on them, they still don't go to the actual size,.,.